25 February, 2008

Mein Gott. Wien.

And...freak out time about Vienna.  Central College seems to be very good at not telling us most of the important information until right before we absolutely have to know it.  That will be the meeting on Wednesday afternoon, and then we leave Thursday morning.  And...dragging my way-over-the-weight-limit-suitcase to ZOB, the bus stop across town.  I still don't know a lot about what happens once we actually arrive in the city - registering with the city, whaaaaat? - and I'm sure on Wednesday they will just throw all the information at us.  So, nervous about that, and about spring break a little, because getting to the Amsterdam hostel to meet Rachel might be difficult, and Charles de Gaulle is always insane and I have no French abilities, but at least Copenhagen has calmed down some and we're just going to Legoland all day anyway.

But...I am very excited for Vienna.  I looked up the district I'm living in (again, thank you Central for not telling me much).  It's the 9th, pretty much full of University buildings and otherwise academically related things.  It looks pretty.  

On Thursday Laura came to visit and we had lots of German adventures.  And by lots of German adventures, I mean that we went to the ruins, Comburg, went to some bars and a good restaurant, and frolicked around Schwaebisch Hall.  This time, I remembered to bring my camera to Comburg, and it was just as beautiful as I remembered.  I also decided that the wall overlooking the city in the ruins is my favorite place to sit possibly ever.  Laura walked around photographing things and I sat there for maybe 30 minutes and was completely calm. 

On Friday night friends and I borrowed the Goethe Kino (actually, we got Gesine to come make it work for us) and watched The Third Man, in honor of our upcoming travels.  It was very intriguing, and now I sort of wish Vienna was all black and white and everyone there spoke in film noir dialogue.  But hopefully we are taking The Third Man tour there, and we can all pretend to chase Orson Wells everywhere.  And yay, I understood most of the German in it.  Furthermore, Holly Martins might be the best name I've heard, and now I wish I could play the zither.

So...more from me once I'm in Vienna.

No comments: